#MCCOTInterview {15}


Kera Till, the French and German fashion illustrator with the poetic pencil mark

Sometimes a simple book can inspire a true passion. It is what happened to French and German Munich-based Fashion illustrator Kera Till when she was a little girl as her father brought home a book on Legendary French Fashion Designer Christian Dior. She felt in love with Fashion and started drawing her first fashion illustrations. Without still knowing, she had found her future job. Some decades after and a degree in political science, in 2006, in London, a jeans editorial illustration at Net-a-porter, where she worked as an intern, literally changed her life. She finally realized she could made it as an illustrator. Let's chat with a talented creative woman. A busy and happy mum who is able to offer the world a bit of needed sweetness thank to each of her artworks. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you?
My name is Kera Till; I am an illustrator living in Munich. I am French from my mother’s family and German from my father’s side. I have been working as a freelance illustrator for the last 15 years although I have a degree in political science.


When did you start to draw?

Like everyone I started as a little child, and it became my favourite hobby. I also started quite early with my interpretation of fashion illustration as a little girl. Inspired by a book about Christian Dior my father brought home from an exhibition project he was curating. He was a museum Director, and I was always surrounded by a lot of books about fashion, design and photography. 

When did you know you wanted to become a professional illustrator?

I didn´t have any role models and didn´t realize it could be an actual job. So I studied political science after my baccalauréat at Munich´s French school.  I interrupted university for a year to live in London and work as an Intern at Net-a-porter in 2006. This is when I had the courage to work on a portfolio with my drawings. 

How did you train yourself? 

As I have no degree or training in illustration, I always learn on the go with each commission. Even if my curiculuum wasn´t linear, looking back it makes absolute sense the way my career developped. 

Do you remember of your first commissioned illustration ever?

Yes, it was a little editorial for Net-a-porter. As an intern there, I showed my sketches to the Art Director and shortly after she asked me if I could illustrate a jeans editorial. when it was published, I was so incredibly proud that I sent it to the German VOGUE. Vogue Germany became my second commission and then British TATLER.

What are you enjoying the most in the process of drawing?

I like everything about my job also working with my clients and working on ideas. It is not only the actual drawing. When I am drawing, it can be a very meditative and mindfull process. In an ideal situation, I am listening to a podcast or watching something on netflix while drawing. 

You have a one-of-a-kind style. How much time did it take you to find it and to stand out of the crowd of illustrators all around?

Thank you! It is not about time but more about sticking to your style while trends come and go. 





What is the daily routine of a talented freelance illustrator like you?

Since I am a mother, it pretty much depends on my son. While he is at kindergarten, I try to be as productive as I can, which can be very stressfull. I miss the ease and working without pression. But my job was alwas about thight deadlines and it is rarely as romantic as the job seems to be from the outside. After my son and husband leave the house in the morning, I try to start with the most challenging/demanding tasks. After years of trial and errors, I had to accept that the most precious time is before noon even if I pretended to be a „night owl“ when I was younger. So I try to draw in the mornings and schedule calls, meetings, emails... later in the day. But of course, it can vary and each day is different. Working late at night  is definitely over for me. 

How did you find new commercial partnerships? Are you representing by an agency or by an agent?

Instagram changed everything really. Clients find me and I rarely reach out by myself. I am just to busy to be honest.  I only work with an agent in Japan: it´s Taiko Associates and they are great. I did amazing commissions in Japan like for Japanese VOGUE. 


Do you have some tips to give to young people who are dreaming your successful career?

Instagram is the best way to promote your work. I wish I had it when I was first starting. 

Have you ever dreamt of working on a cartoon? 

No, as it looks like too much work and my style doesnt´really work for a cartoon I guess. 

Fashion is one of your favorite topics. But your illustrations are often inspired by your daily life and by what is happening in the world. Do you consider yourself as an engaged artist?

No, I don´t consider myself as an engaged artist. On the contrary, I more and more try to stay away from political subjects. What I like is sketching every day life situations and sometimes world events but always on a light level. I know this is not the mainstream right now, but this is what I decided for myself.



You are based in Munich, the city where you were born. Did you never think to move to a fashion metropolis like Paris, London, Milan or NYC?

I lived in London for a year, I had several longer episodes in New York. I' am often in Paris where my family has a place, so I would call it home away from home. I love my hometown Munich and in this phase of my life, it is just perfect. I love the idea of living in a city where I was  born and raised, knowing everyone and everything. It is not always exciting but it gives me warmth, comfort and freedom; it sounds boring but it is exactly what I need right now. 



All the pictures and illustrations are Courtesy of Mrs Kera Till


IG
@keratill



#KeraTill
#Illustrator
#Fashionillustration
#Munich
#Germany
#creativepeople
#Netaporter


 

Popular Posts