#MCCOTInterview {22}

Sophie Rowell,  the British rising star Interior Designer 

The recent Pandemic of Covid-19, still in progress, has turned our lifes upside down. Suddently Millions of people have been forced to stay at home for months. No one could ever have imagined to be lockdowned cause of a virus. But it happened. Our homes sweet homes became more than ever our safe places. On this occasion, some discovered they don't really like their interiors. That was for sure not the case for self-taught talented British Interior Designer Sophie Rowell. She loves her home. The latter perfectly fits her as a true 'extension of herself'. After 22 years in the Fashion Industry as stylist and art director, Sophie has moved to Folkestone on the Kent's Coast to follow her passion for Interior Design and has founded her own agency Côte de Folk (2016) with a focus on a elegant, mix-and-match, eco-friendly style with a unique vintage touch. Proud committed ambassador of green 3Rs Reduce-Reuse-Recycle, she follows no trend but concocts bespoke projects to make clients happy and help them to find their true Interior. Let's meet a passionate woman , mother and Female entrepreneur who is writing a new exciting chapter of her life and professional career. A woman who didn't fear to change for better. A role model who has started from scratch a new business and who can resolutely inspire you. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you?
Sophie Rowell, 48, Mother and Business Owner.


What brought you on the Interior design market?
It had always been a dream but when my work/life Balance was no longer working for me as a single mother, I took the leap into interior design to follow my dreams and to have more control over my time and my life. 




Did you sometimes miss the Fashion Industry you worked into for 22 years?
Not really. I miss the hotel rooms, buffet breakfasts and easy access to a gym but other than that, I'm really happy I made the change when I did.

When did you open your agency?
It all started when I opened a homewares store in my, then new, home town of Folkestone, in 2016. The Interior Consultancy organically evolved from that...

As self-taught interior designer, how did you learn the job?
I've always learnt best by doing. I refurbished 3 of my own properties prior to opening the business. I do believe that if you've an eye for colour, pattern and antiques, you just have it. Those things can't be taught in a classroom.


Why did you call it ‘Côté de Folk’?
When I moved to the Kent's Coast, I always joked with my friends we were living in ' The  Côte de Folk' (short for Folkestone) as in the Côte D'Azur because it is so beautiful here, especially when the sun shines. The name of the shop HAD to be that and it just continued to hold the name as the business evolved.

Your agency is ‘A bespoke interior consulting with a difference’. Which one?
I think our difference is that we work very much  together with the client and that we are happy to take on all manner of projects, big or small. No two projects are ever the same, we definitely don't have a 'cookie cutter' approach.

What is your personal concept of Interior Design?
I think the home is such a scared place for us all in our busy lives. I believe that our homes should be an extension of ourselves. A beautiful home is not just a frivolous desire to acquire nice things, it is about our engagement with the things that make us happy, calm and productive. 




Why do you think people like your work?
I think there is a certain handwriting in my work which speaks to its individuality. I think reusing and restoring items speaks to a lot of people, especially in our culture of throwing things away and starting again.

How does your home sweet home look like?
I love my home very much. It's very special. Its a 4 story Georgian Townhouse in the old town part of Folkestone. I live with my 10-year-old son, Kyd. It's warm, inviting, eclectic and always changing!

Are you a committed ambassador of  green 3Rs Reduce-Reuse-Recycle?
DEFINITELY. I like nothing more that bringing back to life and old beaten up armchair of sofa...

Since your debut, which is the funniest and strangest project you took care of?
It would have to be converting a Citröen HY Van into a lovely, inviting Airbnb overnight destination.







A precious tip for the perfect home?
My 'Tip' would be to just DO YOU. If you love it, who cares if it is on trend or in fashion, or what anyone else's opinion of it is. If it sparks joy in your home, GO FOR IT!



All the pictures are Courtesy of Mrs Sophie Rowell


IG
@cotedefolk


#MCCOTInterview
#SophieRowell
#CôtedeFolk
#Interiordesigner
#Interiordesign
#Folkestone
#secondlife
#3Rs
#secondcareer
#femalebusinessowner
#Kentcoast






























Popular Posts