#MCCOTInterview {56}
Daniela Bustos Maya, the designer who brings together tradition, design, and emotion.
Building an international creative and eco-conscious community of ecopreneurs, creatives, artists, craftswomen and craftsmen, committed and caring human beings is what MCCOT was born to do, in purpose. It takes time, patience, resilience, consistency and a lot of dedication. Slowly but surely, we work hard with passion to pick the right protagonists. Just a few but the right ones, by choice, and to be truly faithful to our ethos, People we consider true role models and who share and promote the same core life values of ours. Citizens of the world we are inspired by and who we wish, could inspire our readers. Special human beings we deeply esteem and we are sincerely proud to support and welcome on board. If most of the time, we encounter them purely by chance, sometimes it can happen that they were suggested by a member of our international community. Indeed recently eco founder and slow living ambassador, Kirsten Kjaer Weis, introduced to us talented and deeply- committed internationally-renowned American Artist, scholar, and steward of botanical traditions Lia Chavez. A few weeks ago, Lia put us in touch with her close friend Daniela Bustos Maya who is an Argentina-born and Mérida-based slow and eco-founder of the eponymous brand of jewelry and accessories.
A generous and passionate woman, and a loving mother of two daughters, who literally felt in love with the Mexican city of Mérida in Yucatàn, where she has been happily living and working for over 15 years. A new welcoming home sweet home where she put new roots and proudly has been supporting local traditional craftsmanship. A committed, conscious and ethical entrepreneur and founder who found the perfect way to pay tribute to weaving, her female family legacy and also help local skilled artisans to pass on their precious traditions and techniques from one generation to next. Daniela is such an inspiration. She is a talented creative accessories designer on a mission. She wants to make a real difference. And she is already doing it. Working with original 20th-century Mexican coins and using hammock threads in various designs, she carefully crafted one-of-a-kind and timeless, long-lasting pieces, that are able to enhance feminine beauty. As we are, she is slowly building her own community. In the innovative concept store called Casa T'HO' she owns, she indeed showcases her creations and collections but also offers good exposure to the ones of a selection of talented Mexican designers she believes in. An altruistic behaviour that deeply touches us, as supporting each other and joining forces is so important to us. We are definitely honored and grateful to welcome her on board.
By Hélène Battaglia
I’m Daniela Bustos Maya, an Argentine designer and the founder of the brand that bears my name. For more than fifteen years, I have lived in Mérida, Yucatán, where I found a home, an endless source of inspiration, and the place from which I have built a creative universe that brings together contemporary design, craftsmanship, and tradition.
I was born in Villa Cura Brochero, a small town in Córdoba, Argentina. I grew up surrounded by nature, by women who wove with their hands, and by a family that taught me the value of craftsmanship. I never imagined exactly what path my life would take, but I always felt the need to create. Moving to Mexico became a turning point. Here, I discovered an extraordinary cultural richness that completely transformed the way I design. I believe my story is the combination of my Argentine roots and the deep love I developed for Mexico.
What do you appreciate in the creative process?
What I enjoy most is the moment when an idea begins to take shape. I love experimenting with materials, leaving room for intuition, and allowing each piece to evolve naturally throughout the process. I also deeply value collaboration. Many of our creations were born through the dialogue between different hands, different skills, and different stories.
On what occasion did you deeply fall in love with Mexico, its cultural heritage and its precious artisanal craftsmanship?
From the moment I arrived in Mexico, I was amazed by the richness of its traditions, the strength of its artisan communities, and the country’s incredible cultural diversity. I discovered that behind every technique there is a story, a family, and an identity. That changed forever the way I understand design.
When the Mexican state of Yucatàn and, especially the city of Mérida where you are based, became your safe haven and happy place?
I arrived in Mérida in 2010, knowing very little about the city. I came looking for an opportunity, and I ended up building an entire life. My daughters were born here, my dreams grew here, and so did my company. Mérida gave me stability, inspiration, and a community that truly made me feel at home.
What do you love the most about Yucatàn?
Its people, its peaceful rhythm, its beauty, and its deep respect for tradition. I’m inspired by its architecture, its light, its colors, its nature, and above all, by the extraordinary talent of its artisans. It’s a place where time seems to move at a different pace, and that has also shaped the way I create.
In 2010, you embarked on a brand new close-to-your-heart professional journey and established your eponymous maison DANIELA BUSTOS MAYA. What motivated and inspired you to make such a bold decision?
I felt the need to create something authentic, something with identity and purpose. I wasn’t interested in following trends. I wanted to tell stories through pieces that create an emotional connection with the people who wear them. My brand was born from the desire to bring together tradition, design, and emotion.
How did this amazing adventure start?
It began in a very simple way, by creating small collections and participating in local design markets. Little by little, people began to connect with my work, and I realized there was a room for a brand that celebrated craftsmanship, handmade work, and versatility. Every step of the journey happened very naturally.
By the way, which is the main purpose behind the brand?
To create pieces with soul—pieces that go beyond trends and can accompany people for many years. We also strive to preserve traditional craftsmanship, create opportunities for communities of women weavers, and demonstrate that luxury can be conscious, human, and deeply authentic.
You are a role-model eco founder who advocates for the circular economy. How much sustainability and upcycling matter to you as a female entrepreneur, and as a human being and mother?
For me, sustainability is not a marketing strategy; it’s a way of life. I strive to design long-lasting pieces, reuse materials, produce responsibly, and value every resource. As a mother, I also think deeply about the kind of world I want to leave to my daughters. I believe we all have the responsibility to create and consume more consciously.
In addition to celebrating and supporting a local artisanal, slowly and ethically handcrafted production, your brand is first at all a sincere and beautiful tribute of yours to your weaving's female family legacy. How important is it for you to be able to empower other women and pass on traditional weaving's techniques?
It is one of the most meaningful parts of my work. I come from a family where women wove by hand, and that legacy lives on in every collection. Being able to collaborate with artisans, create employment opportunities, preserve traditional techniques, and demonstrate the cultural value of this knowledge is truly a privilege. Rather than teaching, I prefer to think that we share knowledge and continuously learn from one another.
In Mérida, you have opened Casa T'HO'. How special is this concept store of yours?
We created Casa T’HO’ as a meeting place for Mexican design, art, fashion, gastronomy, and creativity. It was born from the desire to build a creative community and to give greater visibility to Mexican designers by offering each of them a space to share their own creative universe with visitors. It is a project that deeply reflects the way I understand collaboration.
In 2023 you showcased your creations at MBFW Mx. What did you learn from this glamorous experience?
It was an incredibly enriching experience. I learned the importance of believing in my own vision, working as a team, and presenting an authentic proposal. It reinforced the idea that staying true to yourself is always the strongest path.
When and where did you meet your friend Lia Chavez, the American talented artist and founder of HILDEGAARD who we happily recently welcomed into our international creative and eco-conscious community?
The first time I saw Lia visiting my boutique, I was captivated by her style and her vibrant energy. Instantly, I felt she was exactly the kind of woman I love designing for. Later, we got to know each other, and she gave me the opportunity to create exclusive pieces for her wardrobe, something I truly enjoy.
How are your creative universes connected to each other?
I believe we both share a deep commitment to creating from a place of authenticity. We are inspired by nature, sensitivity, and the stories behind every object. Although each of us has our own creative language, we share very similar values.
Why do you think you both get along well and become true friends?
Because there is genuine mutual admiration and a very natural connection between us. Some friendships simply happen because you recognize shared values and a similar way of seeing the world.
A message to the world
I would like to invite people to value what is made with time, dedication, and love. In a world that moves so quickly, craftsmanship reminds us of the importance of creating with our hands, honoring our roots, and building a more human and conscious future. May we never stop believing in the power of creativity to transform lives.
All the pictures are Courtesy of Mrs. Daniela Bustos Maya & Hildegaard. All rights reserved.
IG
In Partnership with
If you enjoyed the reading of this interview you can now SUPPORT US . Thank you
#MCCOTInterview
#sponsoredbyHildegaard
#InPartnershipwithMCCOT
#DanielaBustosMaya
#Méridabased
#accessoriesdesigner
#creativemind
#slowdesign
#LiaChavez
#Hildegaard
#Slowbeauty
#Cleanbeauty
#premiumquality
#nicheproduction
#sponsoringiscaring
#MyCreativeCupofTea
#InternationallifestylenicheE-Zine
#Independentmedia
#Creativeandsustainablevibes
#Jointhecommunity
#makeadifference
#storyteller
#qualityoverquantity
#lessismore
#takeitslow























