#MCCOTVoices {2}

Sofia Codraro

London

United Kingdom


CREATIVITY ROCKS

Hi there! 

Let me tell you something on me and my experience. 

I'm Sofia and I'm a jewelry designer, at last. 'At last', cause I've started off in fashion design then followed my heart, and my endorphins, and chased my biggest love, jewels. 

I worked for Trussardi, Swarovski, Missoni and currently PalmAngels, then in 2018 Cordien was born, much like a natural step in my creative growth. As for the project itself, also the name came up in a spontaneous way: I liked how it sounded and just went for it.

To me Cordien is a different breed of luxury, with a special message at its core: all my bijoux celebrate the beauty of women in its different shapes and shades; every piece was inspired by customs or traditions of countries I visited. So much so that I think my creativity feeds on my traveling experiences as well as on comics imagery. Long story short, Cordien, which is 'Made in Italy' with recycled brass and precious finishes, quickly catches the attention of well-known buyers and shops like LUISAVIAROMA and Seoul's BOON THE SHOP, and was also featured in prestigious magazines as VOGUE, GLAMOUR, VANITY FAIR, LA REPUBBLICA and others.

A word of advice for those who, like myself, aim to create a project by themselves. Be independent and don't be shy in asking for help or support, the world out there will push hard to flatten and conform your work, but do not bend. Stay true to your initial idea, and of course steer clear from self-censorship. Having your brand doesn't mean you're in a popularity contest; don't let the competition make you lose confidence. Sooner or later you'll get in touch with people who can understand you and you'll have the chance to offer your vision. And being in the midst of all that mess, believe me, will make you feel great.

One last piece of info about myself: I see my style as a mix of Hawaian Tiki Culture from the Fifties and the Tokyo manga world, with a strong Brit touch – ranging from a wool-suit countryside mood to the great Swingin' London vibe. During my recent travels to London I've been literally soaking in its culture, and that had a huge impact on my work, I think.

London sets me free; its always innovative rhythm and its multicultural style never fail to ignite my curiosity. All the hints and traces of an ever-changing society, the bold, brave outfits of the Londoners. This city generates contrasts, and the one I love the most is probably the aristosquatter, a sort of slightly aggressive elegance spiked with punkish irony.

If you'd ask me to define the style of London, I'd choose the words couture-culture, for its sartorial looks, uniform, for its ties with tradition, and punk for its appetite for freedom.

Walking through Convent Garden I bumped into the phrase “adorn the common” which I think describes a face of the city I like. Re-styled conventional things blooming into elements of fashion, like a tattooed sidewalk or a colorful park bench. The pastel houses in Notting Hill, the bright red phone booths and the orange lanterns in Chinatown – London does fire me up.

I'll leave you with a few little hints:

Here's my London mind food menu:

-      for starters: the Barbican Centre. Besides the excellent exhibitions, a truly breathtaking botanical garden. A piece of jungle right in the belly of THE Brutalist icon, have we mentioned contrasts yet?

-      main course: The Design Museum + Kyoto Garden. A surrealist interior design exhibit that's just an open-eyed dream, a few steps from a beautiful Japanese garden – ever see a peacock and a squirrel taking a slow stroll together?

-      dessert: Tate Britain. “The Procession”, a powerful installation by Hew Locke: colors at war with politics, a poetic, overwhelming experience – I do confess, it made me cry.

My London shopping menu:

-      The Hirst. Notting Hill's most chaotic vintage jewelry shop. You'll need a sniper eagle eye but unique pieces are to be found, things like an almost hyperrealist strawberry-shaped pin.

-      Ganhagal's vintage stall, Portobello. Big time leather, a passionate research, famous fashion designers' memorabilia.

-      The British Boot Company, Camden Town. The best hunting spot for punk accessories and original Dr. Martens and Creepers still made in the United Kingdom and not in the Chinese empire. Here I found a pair of pink boots that Harajuku's girls would kill for.

And my London Yummy menu:

-      Brunch at Grounded, in Aldgate. Traditional British food with a Turkish twist, my idea of comfort food.

-      Maison Bertaux, Soho. English tea, scones, soft cakes. Right where Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood used to eat. I mean.

-      Ottolenghi, Old Spitafields Market area. A dinner that pays homage to a wonderful mash-up of Israeli and British cuisine. And gigantic meringues which still linger in my sleep.

Enjoy my London! 











All the pictures are Courtesy of Mrs Sofia Codraro

@sofia_cordien
@cordien_bijoux


#MCCOTVoices
#SofiaCodraro
#CordienBijoux
#Creativewomen
#jewelrydesigner
#Londonlover
#Trussardi
#Missoni
#PalmAngels
#Becreative
#MCCOTcelebratescreativity
#MCCOTsupportsArtists






Popular Posts