#MCCOTInterview {36}

Francesca Giovannini, the Italian content creator, food blogger and 'silent' environmental activist who is celebrating a genuine, simple and sustainable way of life 

The excessive consumerism of this past decades has unfortunately jeopardized our beloved planet Earth. It is a reality, no one can deny. The serious and worrying environmental crisis we are coping with since a few years is the direct consequence of a wrong and totally useless way of consuming and living. We all are a little bit guilty. Fortunately recently, more and more of us have finally understood that we can live happy with less by embracing a simple and sustainable life. Italian content creator and founder of the food blog The Bluebird Kitchen and author of the recipe books Cucina essenziale’ (2022) and ' Cucina on the road’ (May 2023), Francesca Giovannini is one of them. Sharing her daily virtuous and almost zero waste cooking and living routine at home in Varese and during her travels on a van, since 2014, she is showing the world that a simple life is not so bad at all. At the contrary. It is good for your body, your soul and, last but not least, for your wallet. Meet a committed human being and self-taught "chef" who wishes to inspire others to choose authencity and  sustainability and live happily respecting and preserving Mother Nature. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you?
My name is Francesca. I live in Varese with my husband, a dog, a cat, two hens and a Muscovy duck. I've always had a passion for cooking but I never thought it would become my full-time job. I've written two recipes books and I’m a food content creator for my channels and some clients.


How did you come up with the idea of launching your blog The Bluebird Kitchen in 2014?
Simply out of boredom: I wanted to try something new by pursuing my passion for cooking and so I decided to open the blog on the platform “Blogger”. After a while I realized that it was becoming more than just an hobby, so I started investing more energy and time into this project bringing it to where it is today.

By the way, could you tell us the story behind the choice of the fancy name ‘Bluebird Kitchen?
I have always loved these little birds which in Anglo-Saxon iconography have always been synonymous with the arrival of spring and therefore with prosperity and joy. It seemed like a beautiful symbol to use for my blog as well.

What is exactly Bluebird Kitchen about?
I use the kitchen as a pretext to address various topics: sustainability, a simpler lifestyle with rhythms more similar to the natural ones, travel and the relationship with nature.


Before becoming a full-time and busy content creator and blogger, which profession was yours?
I have had various jobs, many different from each other, from sales assistant to babysitter to receptionist, let's say that the last job before becoming a 100% content creator was employed.

How did your life change with this fresh new career?
The biggest change for me was being able to be free to manage my work and my time. One part that I really love about my job is that it is never the same and therefore there is always a new challenge to face.

At the contrary of most of bloggers who are doing this job for money, you are proud to stand out of the crowd and be a sincere and convinced committed-to-the-environment food and travel blogger. How did this virtuous green commitment of yours started?
I based my business from the beginning trying not to be very dependent on sponsored content, not because I think it's a bad way to earn money, far from it, it's just that I want to have the freedom to say yes only to brands that I respect for values and way of working. Over the years I have become increasingly aware of the system we live in and the way we are (very often unknowingly) destroying our planet, so I started a process that changed me deeply, especially as regards my daily habits. Talking about my life on social media, it was natural to also tell this aspect of my life.




How concretely did you become a kind of activist blogger?
I was once referred to as “the silent activist” and I think that is the perfect definition for me. What I do is try to show that an alternative way of life exists and it's not that difficult to put into practice; we just need to start this process aimed at changing our daily habits. I like to think of stimulating people by offering them a new model of "normality" where the common good is more important than the wishes of individuals and where we are not the only masters of this Earth.

What kind of kitchen and recipes do you promote?
My cooking is simple and suitable for everyone, I like to use easily available ingredients but in slightly different ways, always trying to give the right twist to even the simplest recipe. My recipes are mainly vegan with occasionally something vegetarian, as is my diet which is 80% vegan but occasionally I eat eggs and cheese.





How did you learn to cook?
Alone. I’m not coming from a family with a great culinary tradition, simply as a child I enjoyed creating recipes by mixing ingredients. It almost seemed like magic and so, watching cooking programs on television, reading cookbooks and literally putting my hands in pasta, I learned.


After a first book called ‘Essential kitchen’ (‘Cucina essenziale’) released in 2022, your second book ‘Kitchen on the road’ (Cucina on the road’) was released, a few months ago, in May 2023. What is this new editorial project about?
I have been traveling by van for 15 years now and along this period I have gathered some experience in cooking in very small environments and with few resources. Since this way of traveling and living is becoming more and more common, it seemed nice to be able to share my cooking hacks when I travel and show that it takes very little to be able to prepare our food. It was, let's say, a natural evolution of Cucina Essenziale. Furthermore, in this new book I also talk about the importance of safeguarding the resources that we too often take for granted.







How is your daily eco-friendly routine at home in Varese?
I ride my bike as much as possible, I cook the food I consume starting from the least processed ingredients possible (thus helping me to produce much less waste); I try not to waste and above all to buy very little. We need very little to be happy.

A few years ago, you have opened a special place called ‘il Nido’, don’t you?

Last year I finally created my studio which I called “Il nido” (the nest). I needed a place where I could work and also, why not, be able to host people who just wanted to drop by to say hello. It is a place where you can create, think and be welcome.

Could you please tell us one sustainable dream you are planning to achieve in the next few years?
My dream would be to get away from the city, have land with a small wooden house and plenty of space for a vegetable garden and some animals, perhaps not far from the ocean.


All the pictures are Courtesy of  Mrs Francesca Giovannini


IG









#MCCOTInterview
#FrancescaGiovannini
#thebluebirdkitchen
#contentcreator
#foodblogger
#rolemodel
#cookingonavan
#silentactivist
#recipebook
#gribaudo
#simplelifeambassador
#slowliving
#sustainableliving
#MyCreativeCupofTea
#InternationallifestylenicheE-Zine
#Independentmedia
#Creativeandsustainablevibes
#Jointhecommunity
#makeadifference
#standoutfromthecrowd
#storyteller
#creativeandsustainablevibes
#sustainabilityisapriority
#qualityoverquantity
#lessismore
#premiumcontents
#takeitslow



Popular Posts