#MCCOTInterview {5}


Anna Mason, New Proud British Ambassador of Slow Fashion
 

The little British girl, who loved to draw and sketch Fashion, has grown. She has not only become a luxury womenswear Designer but she is one of the 50 Most Influential People in British Luxury (https://www.thewalpole.co.uk/events/the-walpole-power-list-2022 ). From former petite protégée and Muse of Legend Fashion Designer Karl Lagerfeld to successful Female Entrepreneur in the British Fashion Industry, Anna Mason has turned her childhood dream into a productive reality . She is a Tastemaker but also a great marketer. She is a good entertainer to a growing community which shares her living values. She has recently opened her new Atelier and show-room located in the heart of  Belgravia, at 32, Grosvenor Crescent Mews. In this elegant London new Grade II listed Maison designed in partnership with Interior Designer Abbie De Bunsen, every visitor will be able to fully experienced her fancy and cosy world. Let's talk Slow Fashion, Made-to-Order, extending collections and soon-to-be announced creative collaborations.
 
By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you?
I'm Anna Mason British luxury womenswear designer of the eponymous Anna Mason London.



When did you know that you would like to work in the Fashion Industry?

It might sound like a fairytale but really from a very young age I was at first interested in drawing and sketching “ fashion “. This led interest in arts throughout my education and, ultimately, my studies at the prestigious Royal College of Art where I gained a first class degree.

After Graduation as a first job, you worked for Mr Karl Lagerfeld, one of the most famous and recognized Fashion Designers ever. What did you learn from this lucky and unique experience?

I did ! Mr Lagerfeld was involved with students at the Royal College at that time and actually designed the shoes that my models wore for my graduation show. From there, I was asked to join his team in Paris which, as you can imagine, was an overwhelming opportunity for such a young designer . I was even lucky enough to inspire one of his collections from a vintage outfit I wore. I had to look awesome every single day, so I was pulling out charity clothes and turning up at the atelier. Karl was just fabulous to me. I had a funny sort of vintage velvet suit that I’d tailored to fit me better and so he did a whole series of velvet suits. I had this funny little 1940s blouse with a cap done in the front which is ruffle with its frill, and he did a whole section of dresses and blouses based on that and the shoulder shape. I was for a little moment a kind of inspiration for him and that was both daunting and exciting and strange as I was so young. It just shows what an incredibly open creatively and collaboratively enquiring mind he had and in that sense without ego.

What or who exactly has inspired you to start you own label in 2012?

I had always wanted to have my own label. I worked with Lagerfeld and then Max Mara and Valentino and others. For various reasons, I pressed pause on my dreams but, then, wanted to have a go again. Every time, I couldn’t find what I wanted, I would make something and, nearly every time I did, women , many of whom then became early customers, stopped me in the street to ask about my blouse, dress etc.. So in 2012, I gathered up some savings invested in materials and a seamstress and got going with what has grown to be Anna Mason London. 





Who are the women you design for and the ones you dress?

I design with every woman in mind in a sense . All my experience dictates the best fabric choice, colours, print. My collection of Ready-To-Wear and Made- To-Order offer wardrobe building solutions, “go to” wardrobe favourites, easy elegance, from everyday blouses and skirts but, also, show stopping signature high glamour party wear. We have a dedicated legion of fans, from the global Fashion elite to style loving women, everywhere.







 You are a perfect Ambassador of Slow Fashion, aren’t you?

You’re kind to suggest I'm perfect! But yes, Slow Fashion is at the heart of what we offer as a brand. We are as I said all about wardrobe favourites or classics items you reach for time and again. The majority of the business is Made-to-Order, which, of course, is all about considered purchasing and minimal production waste. This month, for example, we’ve invited our customers in store for our ’Tweak, Refit, Reflatter’ event on the occasion of which,  they can bring in pre-loved Anna Mason's garments for remodelling; so yes, it's very much at the heart of what we are all about as a brand.

At the contrary of many Fashion Designers worldwide, Sale Culture is not your cup of tea. You have chosen the Made-to-order. Could you tell us more about your philosophy?

Sale culture is most definitely not what we are about as a brand. Perpetuating this is very much a ‘race to the bottom’ . However customers are increasingly price sensitive in a globally challenging financial market so our margins are something we keep a very close eye on, as well as, pricing ourselves competitively and fairly against other fashion brands. 







You choose British fabrics first. How is British Fashion doing with Brexit and now the pandemic?

Yes, I always like to look to British fabrics such as corduroy, velvet, tweeds, lambswool as they suit our design sensibilities. I have worked with many British suppliers over a number of years. I understand these fabrics and how they work in my designs and many of our global customers find that a point of difference in what we offer. But we also work with suppliers in Italy, especially on print design and button supply for example, as well as, in Spain where I recently sourced some fabulous Viyella. Without doubt, the “double whammy “ of both coming to terms with increased complexity around access to Europe as well as delays caused by and ongoing due to pandemic are the least happy side of any fashion business, at the moment.





Sustainability is one of your core values as founder, creative director and fashion designer. But as a woman and a citizen of the world, which is your daily contribution to save the planet?

I am a woman, a mother and a global citizen and, of course, all those elements play into my work ethos both consciously and subconsciously. Made-To-Wear is absolutely about minimising waste in this area. We are always looking at ways to improve our production side in terms of recognised industry best practice and our own internal practice, for example, having both my retail showroom and my working atelier (production ) in one location guides the way we work daily.

How would you describe your relationship with the City of London?

Ive lived in London for the majority of my adult life. Diana Vreeland once said “the eye has to travel” and that is so true for a creative person and London has so much to offer culturally that I find inspiring.

You’ve recently opened a new Flagship store in Belgravia. It really looks like a very elegant and sophisticated boudoir to welcome your clients, isn’t it?

The new Anna Mason London Maison which was opened in December in Belgravia central London is the pinnacle again of a childhood dream. We have completely renovated a period property Grade II listed old stable block into my dream showroom and atelier. It's a both quirky and elegant space. Our desire is that this becomes a real destination and as it bears similarities to the famous Chanel atelier, it is full circle for me having started my career with Karl.








Anna Mason London in three words…

Feminine, Easy, Elegance.

What is on your mind for the future?

Our sales throughout the pandemic have been strong as we pivoted our online presence and engagement with our customers; we will do more work in that area. We have a number of brand collaborations in the field of design and interiors, planned under my creative eye. We have also made great strides in the US and are stocked in Saks and Net-A-Porter and other US retailers. We are having traction with a number of key lifestyle and fashion influencers so our sight is set on US expansion and development.






 All the pictures are courtesy of Anna Mason London


IG: @annamasonlondon

      @abbiedebusen
 
      @ walpole_uk

#AnnaMasonLondon
#BritisFashion
#BritishFashionDesigner
#SlowFashion
#Sustainability
#Femaleentrepreneur
#London 
#KarlLagerfed 
#theWalpole

Popular Posts