#MCCOTInterview {11}

 


Jo Riis-Hansen, New Danish Ambassador of the Slow Jewellery

Born and raised in Copenhagen in a Hippie Commune in the 80s', Jo Riis-Hansen is resolutely a one-of-a-kind Jewel Designer and ceramist. The danish trained Goldsmith turned into the owner of a shop and then into co-founder of a successful jewel company, has decided to slow dow. For the best.  She has opened her own little workshop in the heart of the city. A rewarding decision which has allowed her to discover her new passion for ceramics and a new exciting way of creating. In just a few years, she has become a real Artist. Her creations are real unique hand-crafted masterpieces. Let's meet this proud mother of two, and happy life partner of a creative photographer and Director who is enjoying a slow and creative life in the city of the famous Little Mermaid. A lucky woman who has found her happy place in the world. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you? 

I am first of all the mother of two beautiful children. I am born and raised in Copenhagen, Denmark. And I love to live here. I love art and fashion, party and relaxation. 

 How did you become an artisan jeweller and a ceramist? 

I am a trained goldsmith and I have worked in the jewellery business for the last 20 years. I have worked in many different parts of the jewellery business throughout these years. After the end of my apprenticeship, I started my own little jewellery shop in Copenhagen. Things was very different in the jewellery business back then. There were really nothing in-between old jewellery businesses and bijouteri. After 4 years I decided to close my shop and parther up with a fellow jeweller to create a business that would fill the gab between fine jewellery and bijouteri. Together we created a company that produced jewellery in sterling silver and 14 k gold. But in a design that was much more fashion related that seen before. After 9 years I left this company as I was creatively unfulfilled and wanted to follow a more artistic path that what fashion had to offer and I wanted to work in much slower peace. The ceramics has been a way to challenge my creativity. I didn’t start doing ceramics until 4 years ago. The ceramics was my way into a new form of creativity. A place where I was allowed not to be the best. It has truly developed my way of working in precious metals and it has opened a whole new way for me of creating. 

When did you know that the time has come for you to open your own atelier?

 I just kind of happened. Some things have their time, and it was just that time now. 

 Which is your daily routine in your workshop? 

I always start my day with a coffee and a podcast. I am a slow starter. And not a morning person. I create my best in the afternoon. And my creative flow is always at the best at night (not always a good thing with a family and 2 kids).

What exactly fascinates you about the creative process? 

I tab into a very special flow when I create. It’s a special and very secret place to me. Time stops and the process takes over. It is my happiest place to be. It feels like the metal or whatever other material I am working with takes over. It is actually quite a magic feeling. A form of meditation. 



Beyond your truly passion for ceramic, which are the other materials do you love to use to create to your jewels-sculptures?

I work a lot in wax. This is a well known technique in creating jewellery. But I didn’t start working in wax until I started my latest project. In jewellery making (the old fashioned way), there are a lot of ridged rules on how to create jewellery. I am originally trained to work directly with the metal. But working in Wax really opened my eyes on how to accomplish a whole new more organic expression. Also I do some paper clippings and then of cause ceramics.

How would you define your style in three words?

Organic. Clean. My own. 

Is there a story behind every single and unique piece you design and handcraft? 

There,  very often, is. But it is not always a story in words. I work on emotions. My inspiration often come to me as a blurry feeling that I work with. Often the result surprises me. I start at one place wanting a curtain shape, and I find the piece ending up looking everything but what I planned for. 




Am I right to consider you as the perfect ambassador of the Slowness trend? 

I truly hope so. Everything seems to be going too fast in this world, so I try my best to slow things down, but it is a process. And I too tend to stress out at times. But it is definitely my goal to do everything slow. 

You choose to work alone but could you imagine giving up your creative loneliness to welcome other artists for a training or a partnership in your happy place? 

Actually I have always thought that it was better to be together that alone. I grew up in a Hippie Commune in the 80s' so my upbringing was very much about fellowship and community. But I must admit that I work best alone and I become more secure in my work when I am alone. So no, I don’t think so , but then again never say never. 

Regarding collaboration, how was it working together with fashion designer Mark Kenly Domino Tan ? Do you plan new collabs?

I love to work with Mark. He is an incredible person, and his ethics in designing is beyond this world. His sense of quality stuns me, and he has learned me a lot about doing your very best. I would decently love to work with him in the future. 

Your partner and father of your two children is a photographer and a director. Do you sometimes work together? 

Yes, we work together all the time. There is not a decision or an idea that I don’t run through with Hasse. He does all of my photo shoots, and we have a great creative connection.



 What kind of mum are you? I do imagine a creative one? 

I am a mom like all moms. Trying hard to do my best. I succeed at times and I fail terribly at others. I have found it hard to be present at times, that is something that I work with. I have a creative mind that means that I tend to drift off into my own world all the time; so just being present with my children is the most challenging but also the most important to me.

You were born and raised in Copenhagen where you are still based. How has your home city influence your artwork? 

I love Copenhagen. Copenhagen is a beautiful city in the summer but not so much in the winter. There is a lot of good things about living here. Its is like living in a village. Its a very safe, but also claustrophobic at times. I must admit that working out of Copenhagen has its limits, as security doesn’t always keep you on your toes. But at the same time, it does support the slow way of living and working.



All the pictures are Courtesy of Mrs Riis-Hansen

Jo Riis-Hansen

IG:

@joriishansen


#JoRiisHansen

#Jewelmaker

#Copenhagen

#Slowjewellery

#Artist 






Popular Posts