#MCCOTInterview {17}


Séverine Lagrange, the new Belgian green Fashion designer in love with Knitwear

Séverine Lagrange is an happy and committed founder. Thanks to her own label recently founded and called AroundMrs.O, she is proudly paying a daily tribune to her beloved granny Odette and her unconditional love for Knitwear. Strong and passionate, Odette has been an inspirational muse for Severine since she was a child and even more now that she is a female entrepreneur and a mother of a little boy.  Not interested in success and money, she is focused on sharing the values she believes in: Heritage, Craftsmanship and Travels. She is also a devoted ambassador of the Slow Fashion Movement. Her collection are sustainable made to last and to be passed on from one generation to next as she hopes, one day, to pass on her business to her son. Let's meet a blossoming woman who is living a third life she has built, she loves and she deserves. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you?
Hello ! I’m Séverine Lagrange. I’m 35 years old and I’m the Mother of a 16 months old little boy. I have the feeling that you can live several lives in your own life. Here I live my third life. I was first a child, then a young adult working as a stylist for several retailers from the mass market and now a Mother and a committed designer who’s developing her own label.


Before founding your own brand, which kind of career was yours?
First I studied fashion design out of mistrust and curiosity. I had never taken any drawing lessons before. Very quickly, I loved it! It’s an exciting profession that even creativity, construction and genius. I started my career as a quality controller for an importer specializing in licensing. I was in contact with the factories in Asia: I gave the instructions on the products and controlled the production and the quality. I evolved quite quickly in the company, I loved learning more about the products and the manufacturing. To finally be in charge of the style and quality of a major 80s underwear brand. Then, I worked for a while for a big Japanese brand and a very kawaii young French brand. These were very enriching experiences, but they no longer corresponded to who I was becoming.

Why did you choose knitwear?
I have always been a fan of jeans and knits, but I find that the knits have something very special. It’s a cosy and comfortable piece with its softness but it is also a piece so chic which dresses up any outfit. I also love the feel of wool on the skin. It is something very sensual. I also like the idea that the knit adapts to the body. It doesn’t constrain it unlike the woven fabric.

The name of your brand, AroundMrs.O is a sweet tribute to your grand-mother, Odette. Which kind of relationship was yours?
My grandmother Odette was not the kind of granny who bakes cakes. She was the kind of woman who liked strong people. Who pushed us to ask questions, to challenge, to take an interest in the world. As a child, I was not always thrilled to accompany her to exhibitions, but as an adult, I enjoyed our lunches alone where she told me about her travel memories. I was admiring to see her at 95 years continuing to play golf, read philosophy books, come with us to restaurants and always be so curious about the new generations.


In which way, do you feel inspired by her every day?
I think I inherited a bit of her character. Not always easy on a daily basis, but I really like to question others. But also me too. A certain aesthetic sense too.  I was always dazzled by the way she dressed. Very sober, very classy but still with a wow touch! Very often large jewels brought back from Asia or Africa.

What did you learn from her that you are using today as a woman and a female entrepreneur?
She also taught me to keep a clear mind, to know the value of things. And the value does not only represent the monetary part. The value of a thing is also to be aware of how it is made, how long, what materials, is it something durable over time. In the development of my brand, when I doubt, I always wonder what she would have said to me on such a subject. It helps me a lot.

AroundMrs.O in three words?
Around Mrs. O is a knitwear label. Inspired by a unique woman and everything that surrounds her: Heritage, Craftsmanship and Travels are the 3 values that we want to share around us.




How is the Slow Fashion Movement, you are an ambassador of, growing in Belgium?
Many initiatives are taken today by young Belgian creators and by certain brands who are becoming aware of the subject. But there is still so much to do. We hear a lot of words like eco-responsible, upcycling, vegan, sustainable, but still many consumers do not know exactly what this represents other than a trend to follow.

Could you tell us more about the campaign #WHOISMRSO you are using to build your brand’s community? 
#WHOISMRSO is a campaign to celebrate all the woman around us and is there to encourage all our small and big victories. I also like to believe that one day #whoismrso could be used to introduce other successful women.


More than making money and being a successful businesswoman, what are your goals for the future?
I'm not looking for success. Above all, I wanted to create a brand that looks like me from every point of view, to share Odette's story and perhaps bequeath it to my son later so that he too can continue the story.

You believe in the circular economy and give a second life to old knitwear garments you buy. How important is it for you to be a virtuous and sustainable brand?
In the times we live in today, I believe that every individual has a duty to preserve our planet. Even more when you are a stylist, when you produce clothes. I find it important to do this in the most holistic way possible. For my part, it goes to know my supply network from the sheep to the finished sweater and to make consumers aware of their purchase. Producing a garment has an impact on the ecology. To reduce this, the best way is to make your garment live as long as possible, by passing it on, giving it a second life or repairing it.

In your free time, do you knit?
I would like it ! it's so relaxing! But right now, all my attention is on Around Mrs. O and my child.

Your collections are made for women. By any chance, did you plan a brand extension for men and children?
Yes that's the plan! but not for now. Before expanding the collection, it must first be given a good solid foundation. But it's a project I'd be very excited to work on.






All the pictures are Courtesy of AroundMrs.O



IG
@aroundmrso


#AroundMrsO
#SeverineLagrange
#madeinBelgium
#Slowfashionambassador
#Knitwear
#WhoismrsO

Popular Posts