#MCCOTInterview {29}

Annette Joseph, A joyful and tasty life between  City and Country, Atlanta and Fivizzano. 

Annette Joseph is a happy and fulfilled American woman in love with Italy for over 20 years. In Northern Tuscany, in the green and Little-Known Lunigiana,  a few years ago, she has rediscovered her beloved European (her parents are both Hungarians) roots. The experienced and renowned Atlanta-Based producer, stylist and author of 5 books Picture Perfect Parties, Cocktail Italiano, Italy is My BoyfriendMy Italian Guestbook, At the Table of La Fortezza is enjoying the perfect Italian slow living and slow cooking, six months a year, in 'La Fortezza', her beautiful family home located in Fivizzano (MS). A place where she feels at home, safe and happy, surrounded by family, friends and guests she really likes to cook for, yummy local recipes, she shares on her You Tube's channel. A one-of-a-kind little paradise on earth, nested on a green hill with an amazing view on the Apuan Alpes, where it is possibile to book a private retreat to have a taste of this simple and authentic countrylife, you will fall in love with. As Annette did. 

By Hélène Battaglia

Who are you? 
I am an American Producer Stylist and Author. I have lived in Italy for 20 Years. 

In your home country, the USA, you are a renowned photo stylist and producer with over 30 years of experience. How did you make it building such an incredible career? 
I started my styling career by working in a photography studio where I learned about styling for the camera. I was lucky to assist many talented photo stylists. Working at the studio with all types of clients for three years enabled me to start my freelance career. I worked for many national editorial publications. I was also a writer and editor for magazines for ten years. I styled interiors and food. I wrote about entertaining and have written three cookbooks and two memoirs.

Your recipes and parties’ ideas have been featured in prestigious magazines and you regularly appeared on The Today Show and Martha Stewart Sirius Radio. What are you sincerely the proudest of?
I think that appearing in loads of media was great. But I am most proud of the people who have assisted me over the years and where they have taken their careers. I am also proud of my two memoirs. It’s been a joy to write them.

As most of the women, you are a multitasking one. Entertaining, cooking, styling. What do you do best? 
Styling is what I do best. I think that it’s also what I enjoy the most.

How and when did you discover the green Italian Lunigiana and the little town of Fivizzano where you ended up? 
If you read my book 'Italy is My Boyfriend', it’s all in there. But the short answer is that we had Italian friends that introduced us to the region.

You have a YOUTUBE channel. What do you share on it?
I share our lifestyle in the Tuscan Countryside. The recipes from my cookbook At the Table of La Fortezza. (Rizzoli NY) It’s a fun glimpse into our life there. You can meet our Chef, Leo and tour our house and the grounds as well. 


Is there a special story behind your decision to buy your property ‘La Fortezza’? 
Once again I refer you to my book 'Italy is My Boyfriend'. But the short answer is I was not sure about La Fortezza when I first toured it. It was a well-known property in Fivizzano, and it was a daunting undertaking to restore it. It’s big so that was also a consideration. But in the end we decided it was beautiful and the view is to die for. So we bought it. In Italy, they say “The house finds you”…I agree with that statement completely. La Fortezza is a place we find peace, and we have so much fun there. It was a good decision.



Do you think that staying 6 months every year there, changed you? 
I don’t think it changed me. My parents are European, Hungarian. I spent all my summers with my grandparents from age eleven to eighteen years old. So the lifestyle is normal for me. I will say that when Americans come visit they comment on how relaxed and slower paced it is in Italy. That is probably the biggest change for Americans when they stay in Italy. It’s a good change for sure. But it can be the biggest adjustment for Americans when they live in Italy. Americans do everything quickly and Italians are not in a hurry. That means waiting in line in the post office for a long time. Some ex-pats find it annoying I find it relaxing.

What do you love about Italy and especially about your now second home, Lunigiana? 
The Lunigiana is gorgeous. The nature and the people are wonderful. Our home has the most amazing view. Obviously I love the food since I researched and wrote my cookbook, At the Table of La Fortezza. I love all the seasons and the grape harvest and the olive harvest. I love the local products, our veggie garden, our fruit trees. It’s just the best and little known region in Italy.

More than a second home away from home, La Fortezza is also a perfect getaway to organize workshops and women’s retreats. Could you tell us more about your new journey as landlady and host?
Land lady, never? More like a Hostess/ Your new best friend? I love hosting creative retreats. I adore cooking with guests. We have great guests. I have made lovely friends who return again and again. We only host a few retreats a year. It’s a great way to show off the region and regional foods as well. Lately we have been hosting private retreats. This is where guests bring their family and friends and create their own experience.






Your last book (number 5) intitled ‘At the Table of La Fortezza’ is a series of Lunigiana’s local recipes. Is there a special one you would love to share with us for this incoming Christmas? 
There are so many, the Chestnut Fritters, the Chestnut Pancakes, and the Nut Pie are my favorites for the holidays. Oh and the Porchetta, the You Tube video is really funny as we show you how to make it.


What about your creative partnership with etúHOME? 
I have worked with etúHome for many years. They are great and the fun part is that all of their wares are made in Hungary. So there is some synergy there, since I am Hungarian. The collection is based on the rustic style of La Fortezza.



Where do you spend the rest of the year? 
 We live in Atlanta, Georgia
A message in Italian for #MCCOT’s readers? 
Grazie per l'attenzione. È stata un'intervista divertente. Ci vediamo a presto in Italia. A xx


All the pictures are Courtesy of  Mrs Annette Joseph


IG
@annettejosephstyle
@lafortezzaworkshopsandretreats

Giovanna’s Chestnut Flour Fritters with Ricotta and Chestnut Honey

Serves 8

Ingredients

4 cups canola oil for frying

1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour

1 cup sifted chestnut flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon white sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 cup sparkling water

1 tablespoon butter melted

1 cup fresh ricotta

¼ cup of chestnut honey

Preparation

Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and sugar, add egg, add sparkling water and melted butter into flour mixture. The batter should be smooth and lump free. One spoonful at a time drop ¼ cup fritter batter into the hot oil, and fry until golden.I like to do them 3 at a time. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with a dollop of fresh ricotta cheese and drizzle with chestnut honey.



#MCCOTInterview
#AnnetteJoseph
#LaFortezza
#Fivizzano
#Lunigiana
#Talentedwomen
#slowliving
#sustainability
#slowfood
#slowcooking
#Livinginthecountryside
#visitLunigiana
#VisitTuscany
#ApuanAlps


Popular Posts